The Cyprus Digital Nomad Visa Scheme is a remote work policy used across the European Union that was introduced by a Council of Ministers Decision on 15 October 2021.
The EU describes the scheme as “teleworking for third-country nationals”.
In 2023 applicants obtain a Cyprus Digital Nomad visa by proving that they:
- work remotely in the IT sector while residing in Cyprus;
- work for an employer or clients from abroad;
- have an income of at least EUR 3,500 net;
- have a suitable place to stay in Cyprus.
In various countries, the digital nomad is a phenomenon tied to the global market, the current mobile lifestyle, the use of technology, and what is called “residential tourism” or “business tourism”. Digital nomads search for both freedom and meaningful work.
With the digital nomad visas, the Republic of Cyprus responds to this trend, strengthening its position further as a center for providing services. In line with the European Union’s agenda for new technologies and digitalization, work is done on the island to set Cyprus as a digital hub for the Mediterranean.
What is a Cyprus Digital Nomad visa?
Cyprus Digital Nomad visa is a scheme that applies to non-EU/EEA country nationals who work in Cyprus for an employer such as a company registered abroad, or for their clients located abroad. Therefore, the applicant can either be an employee or be self-employed.
The scheme provides a residence permit and aims to attract talented individuals and entrepreneurs who can work remotely and contribute to economic expansion using their technological skills. The work and effort of such individuals help to develop what the Ministry of the Interior calls “the business ecosystem” of the country.
The Digital Nomad residence permit is valid for one year with a possibility of renewal for another two years. The digital nomad will be living in Cyprus, work remotely, and will be location-independent.
His/her family members can reside in Cyprus for the same amount of time as the digital nomad. The family members can be a spouse or partner in a civil union and underaged children. However, they must not engage in economic activity while in Cyprus.
Please note that, on 3 March 2022, the Council of Ministers placed a ceiling of 500 permits under the Digital Nomad Visa scheme.
Digital Nomad taxes
Provided the digital nomad is not a tax resident of another country, he/she can be considered a tax resident of Cyprus. This is so if he/she resides for a total of 183 days in Cyprus within the same tax year (1 January to 31 December; the tax year coincides with the calendar year).
Tax residents can claim benefits as follows:
- No tax on dividend income or capital gains from the sale or transfer of shares, bonds, and other financial instruments.
Requirements for a Cyprus Digital Nomad visa
Upon arrival, the applicant has three months to submit his/her application and documents to the Civil Registry and Migration Department. It is advisable for the applicant to enter Cyprus with a tourist visa.
If the applicant is already residing in Cyprus under a different status, he/she will still be eligible, provided that he/she fulfills the applicable criteria.
These criteria are that a digital nomad in Cyprus should:
- Use telecommunications technology to perform work remotely while residing in Cyprus.
- Work for an employer or clients from abroad (see above); and,
- Prove that he/she has an income of at least EUR 3,500, which is stable and sufficient for the applicant to live. The EUR 3,500 is net, but contribution and taxes must be deduced.
Note: The above amount is increased by 20% for the spouse or partner and by 15% for each child.
Moreover, the applicant must show that he/she has a suitable place to stay. Among the documents required when you apply for the digital nomad visa is a title deed or rental for a house or apartment (please see the Civil Registry and Migration Department list of documents in the link below).
List of required documents
- Application form: MVIS4 (PDF, 149 KB)
- Copy of valid passport for applicant and family members
- Copy of the visa used to enter Cyprus and stamps showing the last arrival
- Certificate of blood tests (done in Cyprus)
The applicant should not suffer from hepatitis B, and C, HIV, syphilis. Not needed for children under six years.
- An X-ray for tuberculosis
Not needed for children under six years.
- Health insurance
Covering inpatient and outpatient care and transportation of corpse.
- Title deed or rental agreement of a house/apartment
- Marriage Certificate and birth certificates for children *
- Clear Criminal Record for the applicant and spouse from the country of origin or residence, not older than six months *
- School attendance confirmation (for children)
- Income documents
- A letter of intent explaining why the applicant wishes to work in Cyprus and their reasons for stay and working abroad
*Translated in English and have Apostille or Cyprus embassy Stamp. If issued in Russia, there is no need for any legalization; translation can be arranged in Cyprus.
For children who are under six years of age, no medical examinations are required.
- Contract(s) for a project or of services with a duration of at least equal to the requested residence permit.
Proof of monthly income
- Official proof of salary payment showing the net income, and
- Bank statements of the last 6 months showing payment of salary or income.
The applicant is expected to pay fees as follows.
Residence permit application fee: €70 for each family member.
For initial registration at the Aliens’ Registry: a fee of €70 is payable only once.
Application processing time
So, how long is the processing time?
Digital nomad visas can be obtained within 5-7 weeks.
Once you apply for the digital nomad visa in Cyprus, you allowed to stay until the residence permit is issued.
Our Law Firm will undertake the entire procedure for your application to make sure it runs smoothly. We will book the date for the meeting for submission, prepare application forms, advice on required documents, attend the meeting with you, follow the application process, receive the immigration permit cards and deliver them to you.